Thursday, November 12, 2015

Power Cooker

I've mentioned my pressure cooker in a post before, and since it came to my rescue this morning, I thought it was time it got its own post!

I'm making Chicken Chili for dinner tonight, which requires Chicken stock..no problem we always keep tons of homemade in the freezer....except we ran out and I never noticed. YIKES! We never keep the can stuff in the house, and I didn't keep the car today. Time to rethink dinner, but I've already got all the chili fixings prepped so what do I do with it all? Thankfully I've got a 10 lb bag of leg quarters sitting in the fridge waiting to be bagged up, so I can start more stock but it'll take HOURS on the stove to get a good delicious stock. Here is where the pressure cooker comes in. I just tossed a few quarters into it, some carrots and seasoning and put it on highest pressure setting, and set it for 30 minutes. I'll stir it once that 30 is done, and reset it for another 30 and it should be pretty good by then. *I did start some of the stove, and I'll taste test tonight and see which tastes better*

I really wish I would have had this pressure cooker when D was a newborn. You can make all sorts of meals in it, it takes so little time, and its a 1 pot cleanup! Last week I made a small batch of pinto beans in it, if I had read the directions correctly the first time I would have noticed it said to turn the pressure up, and it probably would have been done after the first 30 minutes but I didn't notice so my beans took about an hour total, but they were still delicious and done in time for my lunch, I didn't even have to soak them! We make a yummy  dish called Bacon  Braised Pork pretty often in the pressure cooker too. I'll share that recipe next time I make it (probably next week). I've read you can also make yogurt (I always do mine in the crockpot, but I'm interested in trying it), cakes and can your fruit/veggies. You can make rice and "slow cook" with the one I have too. I have only tried out the slow cook method once, and my food was cooked in about 3 hours instead of the 6 the recipe called for in a slow cooker.


This is the cooker my entire family has, my parents loved theirs so much they bought us all one!

No comments:

Post a Comment